AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - EGR Failure? P0403 coming up
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

So.. got a phone call from my folks. 2010 Isuzu D'max playing up AFTER it had a service and work costing $3500.
Was running OK before service, and now started running like shit.
They had rang the service company. Company said it would cost $2000 to disassemble intake, clean, replace EGR valve and get it running properly again. They had done some sort of "decarb" clean as part of the service.

I took my scanner down to their place. Got code P0401.. EGR valve.
I took the MAF sensor off and cleaned it. I took the throttle body off and cleaned it (lots of gunk).
I took the EGR valve off and disassembled it (lots of soot and gunk in it). We cleaned it right up. A replacement is about $480. Im not sure what sort of a decarb clean they did, but everything was full of shit.
After i cleaned and replaced everything, we took it for a test drive and still no turbo boost and she ran like shit.

I realized that the MIL light was still on. It took a few times to clear it with the scanner and Torque Lite, but once the MIL went off, and all codes remained cleared, the engine management system allowed turbo boost again (I think she was in some sort of limp mode).

She then ran like a dream and the old man reckoned she had the most power it had ever had.

So.. moto of story is.... read your codes.. remove EGR valve and give it a good clean.... reset your codes and clear them if you can.

They just saved $2000 by me spending a few hours with a bit of throttle body cleaner and a cheap OBD11 reader.

Cheers,