AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - XJ Transmission Oil Coolers
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011
No Winching

Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

IMHO ...... theres way too much emphasis on this thing ......

The in-tank heat exchanger .... being thought of as a "cooler" .... at least on RHD export models.

It may be referred to as a "water to oil cooler" in the FSM .... and it might function that a way a bit in the U.S. .... where its fitted in the outlet tank which should be about 20' cooler than the inlet tank .... as the pic in this threads first post, displays ............... but it doesnt do much in the way of cooling - in aust XJs.

As with most yank vehicles .... the preoccupation is with making heat ... not reducing it ..... because of C.A.F.E., and Emissions targets, and weather etc .... and the heat exchanger makes heat for the tranny oil .... with perhaps some stabilisation of the oil temp.

If it was any good as a "cooler" .... there wouldnt be so many yanks fitting aftermarket coolers.

Soooo .... back to RHD export models ....

Effectively and in IMHO .... There is no aux tranny "oil cooler" on an aust XJ.

I'm pretty sure that most people, myself included ... looked at the aust XJ and thought ... bewdy - they fitted an aux cooler for our climate and general tasking.

.... But since the heat exchanger is in the inlet tank .... the aux cooler, fitted as standard on our models - rather than being an option as in the U.S. ...... Only counteracts the stupidity of putting the heat exchanger in the hot part of the radiator ... rather than providing additional cooling.

......... So to improve the tranny oil cooling on a RHD .... either the dinky little factory aux cooler has to be replaced with a larger more effective unit to compensate for the positioning of the heat exchanger ...... and provide additional cooling ......

..... or as some have done - go the long road and fit a yank radiator .... which will then require some monitoring to see how well the factory aux cooler performs in the vehicles operating conditions .... or whether it still needs an upgrade, as many in the U.S. find it does.

Just remember the climate. Yank car manufacturer TSBs are full of 30'/32' plus temps being described as very high / abnormally high, ambient temps.

Which places our common temps of 25'-30' in their - high temp range .... and the temp design parameters of yank vehicles are for their - normal temps, with a bit of coverage either side of that - before the need for optional aux factory coolers or one of the better, optional factory radiators, etc.

The nescessity of having the tranny oil heated in australia probably only applies to someone who delivers early morning brekkies to jindabyne snow resorts ..... in the middle of winter

yes yes ... I know its all a repost ......

Last edited by carvesdodo; 08-01-2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: punctuation - google it if ya dont know what it means ... LOL