AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - XJ 1998 VM 2.5 turbo diesel - limp mode?
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default XJ 1998 VM 2.5 turbo diesel - limp mode?

Hi
I've recently acquired an XJ 1998 VM for my son (he's on learner's, and I have a ZJ 98 4l petrol)
Car was reasonably priced (2k unregistered at 137000km)
However, got some weird problem, and I'd appreciate some advice (I've been lurking here for a while and can't figure it out)
Car runs nice, no smoke beyond first second when starting.
Revs to redzone and has a lot of pull in 1st and 2nd gear (AX-15 I believe).
If I go uphill in 3rd or 4th, would barely make it to 2100 rpm max
Checked #1, it's around 100ohms.
Dropped 100ml acetone in the tank, did some 100km ( short 4-20 km trips) seems marginally better.
Ran some liquimolly diesel cleaner through the throttle body...
Little improvement (maybe placebo)
When I accelerate in first, second, and even third (if not uphil), throttle pedal is very sensitive (sometimes jerks if I'm not operating the pedal very finely).
In 3rd or 4th, seems to loose any effect after depressing the first 1 cm or so... that's when it won't rev past 2100...
I also found ax gearbox had but a shade of fluid and was driven about 100km at least in that condition (effectively only with a coat if fluid in the gearbox)
If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.
As I've said, did a lot if research, read a lot of threads, none seem to fit exactly what I'm experiencing...
What would be your suggestion in progressively and methodically eliminating potential causes?
MAF?Pedal sensor? Fuel starvation? blocked cat?
thanks.
R