AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Looking for an XJ
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014
Established Member

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Cool Looking for an XJ

Hi all, I've started hunting around for an XJ, which will be a second vehicle for off-road use and a bit of on-road as needed from time to time.

From the research I've done so far, I understand a Chrysler 8.25 rear and HP front diff are desirable, but so far seem hard to find. I've focused on 97-99 sports (I understand the limiteds all had ABS so D35), but am still finding D35's.

My question is how critical is this (and should it be a deal breaker) or am I being overly paranoid about the risk of D35 breakage? Use will be beach/dunes, powerline trails and the occasional trip to 4wd parks. Nothing extreme but generally like to keep options open and don't want to be stressing about a disaster in the middle of nowhere. Vehicle will be lifted with bigger wheels and I'd like to add lockers down the track.

I have read into buying a new 8.25 axle but am yet to really put my finger on the total cost to understand how viable it is - can anyone that's done it give me an idea and is there anyone in Perth that does them?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,