AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Purchase advice needed!
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2021
Established Member

Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Default Purchase advice needed!

Hi all,

Been a long term jeep fan, and I'm in need of some advice.
I've been running an xj for the last 10 or so years, and its time to upgrade.
Got a few mates recommending a hilux, but i dont even think that would be as capable as the xj off road. The other half are saying patrol, but covid tax on them, plus astronomical fuel use is putting me off.
I want to stay on the jeep brigade, so im looking at wranglers.
I wanted to narrow down what I should be looking at. I got lots of great tips and advice in the xj section over the years, so I figured if any one knows these things well, and the ins and outs, its you guys!

So I am looking for a 4 door hardtop petrol automatic.
Using it for beach work, bush tracks etc. No towing. I mainly use low range and cruise and for maximum power.
Budget is $25k, I know its not much, but its all i can afford atm.
The xj did all this epically, so I cant see why a wrangler wouldnt, if not better.
So here come the questions.

What is the main differences between the various models?
Sport, Unlimited, Rubicon ( out of my price range, i know)
Which ones came with factory lockers? and was it just rear lockers, or front and back?

Any known issues with the petrol motor? Especially one at 200K+?
Whats fuel consumption like? Power is adequate?
Same with the auto transmissions?
The xj motor/gearbox combo i found bulletproof.

Any certain years to look out for? I know with the xjs, there were updates over various years...

And anything to really check thoroughly when buying a second hand one?
Like I know with the xjs, it was drivers side floor pan rust, rear gas struts on tailgate, rust in sills, etc

Ultimately I'd like a minor lift and bigger tyres, so if I could get one with that already done, it would be cheaper.

Any and all advice, plus anything else you guys could give me would be seriously appreciated. Im well versed in the xj's and have learnt them inside out, but a wrangler is a new beast I'm not familiar with.
Also, should I be looking at TJs aswell? Is there major differences?

Was really hoping you guys could give me a good headstart, some good tips, and point me in the right direction.

All advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by oshen; 11-10-2021 at 12:27 PM.