AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Myths and fairy tails about the VM TD
View Single Post
Old 27-09-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you to all of those who have been submitting their experiences and knowledge. This thread alone has been the most helpful to me amidst the many similar forums across the internet world wide.

In a later post, I will detail the tales of woe with my 1997 XJ Diesel Jeep. It will be very lengthy, but will be educational for others with the same model.

I say latter post as it will take a significant amount of time to write down the extensive details. I would like to write it out thoughtfully so it does not babble on and delivers education and experience in it's intention.

In short, here in Alice Springs, we have summer temps exceeding 45 degrees and even beyond the 50 mark out on the highway. The Jeep can't take the heat, and I have now fixed it.

May I first ask a question to confirm what I am told....
Almost every spare part listing is wrong. Repco, supercheap, you name it.... I buy a part out the book recommendation and when I go to install it, the part is clearly different. One example is the books list the fan/engine belt as an 8PK2190 which is actually way too short. Even in pulling in the alternator and tensioner, it is impossible to fit that size belt. Also, the workshop manual shows the pattern the belt installs, but on mine, the pulleys and wheels are in different positions.
The workshop manual pics of the power steering motor don't resemble mine at all.
My question is this... it is suggested to me that mine is not a 2.5 (2490), but rather, the smaller 2.4 (2420) Brazilian made motor. Is it true that there was a 2.4 litre engine? This is what the car yard told me when I bought it. Also, an old guy I spoke to, who used to work for Chrysler out of Melbourne, claims there are 2.4 litre VM diesel engines, but only 500 that were made in Brazil under licence and were exclusively installed in the 1997 XJ Jeep. Is this actually true?

Might I add.... I get 720 kilometres out a tank of diesel.

Last edited by XJ Diesel Jeep NT; 27-09-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: added a detail