AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - What wheels under Bushwhacker Fender Flares
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2017
I just registered

Liked 49 Times in 45 Posts

You have approached this in the opposite direction to most. It's normally wheels first then flares to cover them.

I'm assuming you've gone to the bushwacker max coverage and not factory coverage flares. I think the max coverage extend coverage by 2 to 2.25".

Considering stock coverage is about an inch that gives you about 75mm or the ability to go from a +44 factory offset to negative 25 offset in 7.5 wide wheel and remain covered but really people get these flares to run big wheels and tyres.

Unfortunately most states limit the track increase to 50mm some less I believe. That effectively means you need a +19 or greater offset wheel this limits wheel width to about 9" without getting into scrubbing issues.

So to fill the flares and stay legal in most states you would probably be able to go to a 17*9+20 or +25 offset wheel and run 285 to 315 wide tyres, providing you have the ride height to clear them. You may even be able to go to a 10 inch wide wheel at the +20 but a personally wouldn't like to run 285s at low pressure off road on a 10 inch wheel so I wouldn't.

There are also ride height clearence and legal considerations with bigger tyres but if you went to 17x9+25 on 315/65r17 to 315/70r17 or 285/70r17 to 295/70.3 on 17x9+20 you should be coveredd and fill them out well enough.

Depending on what diff ratios and driveline you have some of those tyres may be a stretch.

Not a lot of Australian wheel suppliers can be bothered with the relatively small Jeep market. Try a supplier on here there are a few on here that have decent options in 17". Maybe look at freight forwarding from the US if your prepared to wait 4 to 6 months I don't think they will end up that much cheaper with dollar the way it is but it broadens the range.

Last edited by OzRick25; 06-12-2017 at 06:58 AM. Reason: slight bum steer on offset giving you more