AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - What have you done to your JK this week? 2.5M Views
View Single Post
Old 21-05-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplexj View Post
I actually bought a longer tow ball tongue for mine so that I can open the tailgate with my trailer on (not a camper). This works perfectly however I always have had it in the back of my mind does the extra distance develop leverage which therefore increases the forces on the towbar/back of the vehicle? Cannot say that I have felt a difference but I am sure some of the intellectuals (SeaComms, Yom, LeighP, Nanook et al) would be able to work it out. If it doesn't make a difference I would go this option as to my mind just fitting always ends up not quite right out on the tracks/uneven camp grounds.
You're right, if you increase the length of the tow tongue then you will increase the force applied to the tow bar and it's mountings, as well as allow the weight of the trailer (or it's tow ball weight) to greater affect the rear of the car.

If you're towing a light small trailer and sticking to paved roads then I can't see it mattering.

If you're towing something heavier that is potentially closer to the JK's max tow ball weight then increasing the tongue length could mean you're effectively over the max tow ball weight and could over stress the tow bar mounts. Add more stress by going off road and I guess there is the potential to do some damage.

Not sure I'm that close to the tow ball limit, but I'd need to check and see how heavy the camper is when it's loaded.