AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - (Not so) mysterious clunk from steering.
View Single Post
Old 15-02-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLT View Post
"Diesel filter water detector cap."

Do you mean the water separator that holds the fuel filter ??

I've heard of a couple of reports of failure / 'melting' on these
Fuel filter on mine is due for a change so maybe get new unit that comes with Fuel filter attached
I would presume Kiteman was referring to the little cap/tap on the very bottom of the fuel filter. It has a plug/sensor that attaches to it. This sensor is the 'water in fuel' sensor and when it lights up on the dash, you're supposed to stop the vehicle, unplug the sensor, and undo the tap/cap which will drain any water (and all the diesel in the fuel filter) that has collected in the 'water trap/separator' (very bottom) part of the fuel filter.

It is very common that these sensors and wiring plug get damaged and also the cap/tap as well, quite often they have been done up too tight, or dirt and mud has caked them on, or people don't undo the plug/sensor first and try to undo the tap/cap by unscrewing it and then brake the sensor etc. So that is why I would presume that is what Kiteman was referring to replacing.

The overheating/melting issues that you're referring to is to do with the heating element that is in the supply side if the fuel filter housing (what the fuel filter screws into). It heats up the fuel being supplied from the fuel tank, this is important for colder climates where the diesel may be below zero degrees.

The issue you've heard of is that because the heating element is used every time the Jeep starts (and stays on for a short while) regardless of ambient temps it can melt the fuel filter housing as it might be a 40+ degree day in our Aussie climate.. The 2012+ models have a metal fuel filter housing so it cannot be melted now. My solution to this issue on my 2009 was to disconnect the plug to the heating element so that it never turns on.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119

Last edited by Turismo07; 15-02-2018 at 10:18 AM.