AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - OzTent - Best Tent or Worst Tent?
View Single Post
Old 21-06-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksjay View Post
I had a look at the RV4 today, and beside it was the RV3. The latter IMO is too small for a person of average height when lying down, unless they lie across the width of the tent.

Being a veteran user of a dome tent, and seeing what was available in nylon domes, and having experienced strong winds in some travels, the RV4 is a bit of a stretch in price, and roof top cargo. A Hang Glider may take up the same room on the rack.

BTW, my biggest concern would be the aluminium frame warping on the standard XJ roof bars, particularly in rugged conditions. Has anyone experienced this?

As for its accommodation, this is first class, particularly if there is an ideal spot one wants to set up camp as a home away from home.
Further to my post in 2013, I am a proud owner of an RV4 which I bought 2 years ago, with the fly, and the front extension panels (which I only use if we are going to stay put for a while). I cannot say enough about this set up. It is a home away from home. I can actually live permanently in one of these.

I did not buy for the RV5 as I felt that it is a little too large for my needs. The front extension panels are useful to keep extra shelter from the sun and I tend to put things like chairs, and anything I don't want to sit out in the open overnite. I will be buying a front screen to allow for complete enclosure.

Recently, I also purchased Helinox stretcher cots which means this tent is now a 5 star hotel.*****

The XJ roof bar issue was solved through the purchase of a Rhino Pioneer Platform rack. The RV4 now sits as solid as a rock, perfectly flat, without the risk of warping.

As a backup, I always carry an Outdoor Expedition Ninox 3600 in case it is blowing a gale. This kit packs up into a small bundle.

The only thing I can honestly say I don't like about the tent is that someone can steal it while it sits on the rack. There is no security system that will allow the tent's skeleton to somehow be securely fastened through a cable lock on the rack. Can anyone suggest a hack???

This has to be one of my favourite vids below: