AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - CJ5: 1974 ground up resto
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015
I just registered

Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Default Thanks.

Thanks Al. Your rig sounds like it's going to be tuff az. Do you have pics or a link to your build thread?

I have kept everything that has been taken off her except for perished rubber. As the build goes, parts that are being replaced or aren't needed will be put up on this forum with pictures to see who would like to purchase them etc.

As for this build, it's all the wife's call as it was her dad's jeep and is being restored/built in his memory. He was a larger than life character and apparently had big plans for the old girl so she wants this rig to be completely different to what people might expect. It will be a Sunday driver but she also would like it to be entered in car shows. So some of the plan is as follows;
1. she's picked out a turn-key crate motor. which is a 350chev engine to replace the donk that was in there which was a blown up 253 V8 which we sold off to a keen Holden enthusiast. Just looking for an engineer to discuss road worthiness/rego issues and also what reinforcement the chassis may need.
2. The leaf springs will go and it will be coil sprung all round.
3. She wants to keep it as a manual so a HD clutch will be needed and will need the appropriate adaptor kit etc sorted aswell. Might head to Mark's adaptors for this.
4. The dash, floors and seats will also all be custom made with their family's surname worked in.
5. I wanted truck stacks put on for the exhausts however my wife's taste differ's and she's keen to have the exhaust run out just in front of the back wheels to each side
6. We think the wheels are original but have some rust and damage so am going to look into having these repaired and restored to their original glory.
7. She wants a nice custom spray job with some airbrushing to signify the memory of her dad.

So that's the rough plan. Later today i will put up a full description of how this all came about, how we plan to tackle it and how novice we are at this kind of stuff! Stay tuned