AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - JK Newbie - looking for guidance
View Single Post
Old 30-10-2017
I just registered

Liked 49 Times in 45 Posts

I have the backbone on a jku like everything except the price. Install was fairly simple enough.

Have arb front bar used fwd recovery point once in mud. I dont think a bar is necsessary for sand work have never seen a vehicle being forward recovered off a beach or dune they almost always get stuck going up the hill. I would go with a bar thats adr compliant, my preference would be hoopless and without the indicators.

The silent armour all terrains are quite a good tyre imo you only should change if they are worn out or your doing serious mud work. They have worked fine for me in sand. Some adjustable tyre pressure deflaters and a solid air compressor is the best thing for beach work. I usually start at 24psi on sand and drop down if still getting stuck.

Also things get hot on the beach, a obdii port reader and temp guage app would be a good option. Also resting the vehicle regularly is a good thing to get in the habit of particularly if you have an auto.

Courses are a very good option. I had been bought up 4wding and farming and already had a good understanding but my work sent me on the drive and recover a 4wd with get about driver training in Newcastle and paid for it. It was good, taught me a few things and was a fun day, definitely recommend it if you haven't done much or aren't from a practical work field.