AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - The truth about the 2018 JL Wrangler
View Single Post
Old 22-02-2018
Head Honcho

Liked 1,173 Times in 708 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The Good: Jeep will offer more efficient Wranglers in the future. Alongside the 2.0-liter mild hybrid pairing, we're eagerly awaiting the arrival of a diesel, both of which should help elevate the Wrangler's average fuel economy beyond the high teens.

The Bad: For now, the 3.6-liter V-6 is all we've got. It's rated at just 17 mpg city and 23 highway for 19 combined. But I struggled to hit that 17-mpg figure. While cold weather and winter fuel likely had an impact on my mileage, the Jeep's short, aggressive gearing, willing throttle, and brick-like aerodynamics will make hitting the highway figure a challenge for owners.

The Good: Holy moly, the Wrangler's steering is a revelation. Even with 33-inch tires up front, the new electro-hydraulic steering rack requires less maintenance when driving at speed than the outgoing rack. There's a sense of stability that the old hydraulic system in the Wrangler JK can't come close to matching.

The Bad: The Rubicon's ride is not comfortable. The suspension is hilariously soft, to the point that I almost lost control on a particularly brutal highway pothole that sent the Rubicon bump steering away. Tire roar from those 33-inch tires is constant and wind noise, even with my tester's optional hardtop, whips through the cabin.

The Good: Jeep's designers focused on improving visibility in the 2018 Wrangler. The lower beltline has dramatically improved lateral visibility, while a larger rear window helped for rearward visibility. Jeep's integration of the rearview camera to the center of the spare wheel is a neat choice, giving drivers a better perspective than above the license plate (although it's going to kill the market for aftermarket spare wheel covers.)

www.ausjeepoffroad.com