AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Transmission oil
View Single Post
Old 15-03-2019
Senior Newbie

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Transmission oil

Hey guys

xj jeep 95/6 188k

I was reading about transmissions the other day and I became concerned. Someone said ( another forum) that the xj jeep wasnt really biult for towing and can destroy the transmission.

I tow between 600 and 1600 4 days a week for the last year around outer western sydney. Gear changes are slower when heavier so don't rush things, the jeep is comfortable in 50 -60 zones and about 75 in the 80 zones. I have been driving without towing for about 4 years before and since towing have not noticed any difference in gear changes.

After reading about the transmission though it was mentioned towing with an xj can kill the tranny. I checked the oil condition, was dark brown and smelt frazzled, not burnt but not the sweet red smell.

I changed the oil, dropped about 3.75 ltr and refilled with 4ltr. So maybe a slight over fill....I realise not all the oil would of drained so when rechecking again after a drive the oil was back to where it was as before. The colour is better but not good enough and will do another change soon, maybe a third as well as a new filter. The frazzled smell was still the same though, that had not decreased.

Should I be concerned?
Am I doing enough by just attending to the oil changing?
What Should I look out for in terms of the tranny and its condition?
Will the towing really destroy the transmission?
If it is too late, what are the prices on a new transmission?

Thanks guys.