AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Brake Rattle................
View Single Post
Old 18-05-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post
You just weld the groove on the side, as your pads tend to get hung up in them. The corrugated surface just needs smoothing out. Just make sure pins and everything are clean and lubed and everything can run on the rails.
My calipers were in a bad way, so i replaced those.. i think one was a bit sticky and that may have contributed to excess wear on the pads.

I probably wouldn't swap pads over to the other side, due to abnormal wear already being on the pads. You want fresh pads (even if they are cheap ones), to bed into your rotors.

I now have EBC Yellow stuff pads, new calipers, braided brake lines, welded rails, and everything cleaned, lubed, bled and checked.
Everything seems well with the brakes now. Really good pedal height and pretty good braking even with the 33" tyres.

Cheers,
thanks, I will take the items apart shortly, perhaps the sound is caused by the caliper not sliding on the pin, or brake pads, I will weld & grind that groove if found, and file the corrugations a bit.

in my hoard of parts from an XJ sellout, stored in the White one, is a new front pad set...dont really want to munch a new set like you did, so appreciate the tips

are the calipers easily rebuilt?
I have done other older vehicles before by squeezing out the pistons using the cars hydraulic system, and replacing seals...if the caliper or piston is pitted due to age, then replace or sleeve