AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - I'm Hopeing this is not a Head Gasket
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,550 Times in 4,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluBelle View Post
well I think I am going to chicken out on the chemiweld I have read so many reviews my head is spinning....or is it the homebrew
needless to say about 70% say its shit hot if the directions are followed...and about 30% say its trouble if you intend to keep the engine/car..................
my cooling system is newish all under 3 yrs old and I don't want to chance gumming it up .... I think I might get a compression tester off ebay only around $20 and test my compression see if the gasket has let go between cylinders
I will post my results of the compression test in the mean time I only drive it 11.5 k a day so I will nurse it but today when trying to get down the river it rained too muddy river mud like glue 20kph in 4x4 sideways it ran perfectly? and on the highway no surging at all? so I think I will start with a compression test
and while the plugs are out crank it and see if any coolant spits out ...............
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
I have had a little luck with leaky HG by one at a time loosening each head bolt & re-tightening, if you go an extra 45 degrees after you tighten to spec, this may close a leak. Wont help if you have a crack though.
You do it in the normal tightening order with everything cold if thats what is recommended for head tightening. Dont loosen any more than 1 at a time though.
Its not as good as Chemiweld though.
You may not see much with a compression test, nor turning over without plugs. The color & condition of the plugs is a better indicator.