AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - The REAL Jeep assist - Post your pic
View Single Post
Old 18-07-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 111 Times in 81 Posts

I received a panicked call from my mate - his Discovery was stuck in a giant mud pit and it was going under quickly (I may be paraphrasing). I raced over as quick as I could to find this:

Traffic was standing still on the Bruce and he thought the track running alongside the highway will be a sneaky shortcut to jump the queue. He said mud hole "looked like a giant puddle" so he drove along its side but the ground gave way under driver's side and the car slid sideways.

The strangest thing was, his V8 would run fine for a minute and then belch out a cup or two's worth of muddy water but keep running:

Another guy with a JKU came by (Dave IIRC) and helped us out by being awesome and getting behind the wheel with the seats covered in mud and the pedals underwater when I reverse-snatch recovered it:

His car ran fine for another 15 minutes but shortly after we got onto a nearby dirt road, his car died in a haze of white smoke and coolant spray from what I suspect is a cracked block. I don't know if his existing head gasket leak contributed but for the second and last time that day, I recovered his car by towing it to a nearby road.

The towie who came to pick it up offered him $500 salvage for it, which he accepted. All of this because he was impatient...