AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Guy from Sweden with smokey Cherokee XJ VM 1998
View Single Post
Old 28-04-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
Fellow Jeepers

New to the forum. Have a problem with my Cherokee (eu model) XJ VM 2.5 1998 (Turbo Sport). Im from Sweden and my "daily driver" needs some expert help. I have been to the forum several times but it is still hard to get answers.

Everything work just fine except emission failure and black smoke when revving up to 3000-4000 rpm. Check engine lamp is not on. Guessing the old Jeep gets too much diesel (?) It passed the emission control 1 year ago but now its like a coal mine

This is what I have done so far:

Oil change. Over a year since last time so I did kind of a oil-flush (oil change x 3 + oil filter in a short period of time) I also used a engine additive before the last oilswap.

Air filter swap done.

For some period now I have used diesel additives that should clean the fuel system and CAT.

Found some oil leak around the intake manifold and ERG valve. Cleaned all the parts up and put it all back together.

Cleaned the MAF. Trying to measure it with a multimeter and is not 100% sure if its ok or if I did it the right way. When I pull the wires off the MAF when the engine is running nothing happens at all. No stalling or change in REVs. Is the engine supposed to stop when doing that? Seems to be the case i some cars.

I tried to do a vacuum/air leak test but did not find anything obvious. Maybe I should buy a special tool for this?

This i what I'm thinking:

Some air/vacuum leak anyway?
MAF sensor failure?
Turbo fail? Sometimes the engine makes a “rattling” sound when idling.
Leakage between the turbo and engine?
Injection pump failure?
or…. is it “the classic” no 1 injector??? Have not checked that yet. Did a engine wash some seeks ago and now I can see some new "black stuff" around the 2 injector closest to the front.

Well Im joining the forum here and hope someone can help me. Ill send a link to some pics next time

Have a great day. Cheers / Thomas
Have you checked the glow plugs are working properly? as you say it's rattling sometimes on idle? Maybe not firing all cylinders? .. what about fuel filter? I change mine every time I do an oil change (every 10000k or at least every 6 months) .. first injector should be fine if you are reving fine .. first injector issue causes limp mode and loss of power at 2000rpm ... if your glow plugs are on the way out this could cause black smoke?? Maybe another jeeper could verify that (@Layback 40??) .. either way great to have you join Ajor! Great community here plenty of knowledge and expertise.. pretty confident you'll find the issue with advice on here

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk