AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - WJ: Build on a Budget
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts
Default WJ: Build on a Budget

2 weeks ago I purchased a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8. I was originally looking for a XJ again, and had a real nice 2000 lined up, but couldn't pass this WJ up. I got it for a steal, cheaper than all the XJ’s that I was willing to consider, but came with some issues that I’m prepared to fix (none of the XJ’s I’d looked were perfect either, any 4wd at this age is going to need some TLC).

The plan for this WJ is to keep it simple, reliable, and as fuel efficient as possible. This means no big lifts, massive tyres etc… As much as I love all that stuff, after having a few 4wd’s now and going various places I realise that even a semi stock vehicle (though well prepped) will get anyone to nearly 90% of the places in Aust without much fuss. We only need the bigger than 2” lift and bigger than 31” tires for example for more social wheeling, which I enjoy but understand the concept of 'you have to pay, if you want to play!’. That's something that my wife and I are not prepared to do with this Jeep.. Right now anyway haha!

So this build will not consist of me pouring thousands of $$ into the WJ, I just want to get it to a nice comfortable and reliable place that my wife and I, and our dog, can enjoy going on camping trips, fishing trips, some easy-moderate social wheeling, MTB trips, etc. It’s not going to be a hard core wheeler.

My previous 4wd’s (most pics are poser pics ):

1st, 2003 WJ Grand Cherokee Limited V8:

Towing my mates Surf

I absolutely loved this Jeep. WJ's were actually my dream 4wd when I was kid. I remember going into the Jeep dealership with my dad and checking out Jeeps, we never bought one but I remember sitting in a brand new WJ and saying to myself, I really want one of these when grow up. When it finally came time for me to get into a 4wd, it had to be a WJ, and it was so good, did not let the dream down . So I’m very happy to have another WJ

Basic specs were: approx 4" lift, 32" tyres, rear auto locker

Next was a 1997 XJ Cherokee Sport:

I also absolutely loved my XJ, had heaps of preventative maintenance done on it thanks to this forum and it ran like a champ, as fuel efficient as a 4.0L could be (still used slightly more fuel than my previous WJ on 32’s), and very reliable.

Basic specs were: 2" lift, 31" tyres, factory 8.25" rear diff with LSD

Next was a fling away from Jeeps with a 2005 Suzuki Jimny:

Next to my XJ right before I sold it...

Aside from my love for Jeeps in general, I always wanted a small Zook of some sorts, so this one came up at a price I could not refuse and bought it... The 1.3ltr engine was good enough around the city etc but struggled to maintain 100kmh on trips. Fuel economy was great in the city, but again on the open road driving at near WOT (to maintain 100kmh, especially if there was a headwind lol) meant it wasn't any better than a Jeep! The Jimny got me looks and respect everywhere I went, people always stopping me and complementing me how awesome it looks and goes etc etc, but really deep down I knew it wasn't any better than my previous Jeeps despite all the mods and its lightweight... So after 8 months I sold it , to a mate...

Basic specs: 4" Jimny bits lift from the UK (incl CA's etc), 29" tyres

And this brings me to the latest new toy:
Pics taken at a overnight camping trip at Wilbinga last weekend:

The Jeep is completely stock, with 250,000kms. Has full service history, although looking back through the records some of the work looks sketchy, but at least its had regular oil changes.

I am the 3rd owner, and the prev owner who put the last 150,000kms on it lives outside Perth so has had long distance runs.

Overall engine and trans are making all the right noises and none that they shouldn't, feels very responsive, better than my 1st WJ (with its 32’s and stock gearing, but you could argue that after so many km’s this new one would have lost some of its performance anyway). Susp is old but doesn't feel as old as I would imagine it to, however does have 2year old aftermarket shocks… Steering is very tight, no play at all, much nicer than my first WJ.

Engine has a slight rear main seal leak/weep (less than my first WJ had with 100,000kms..), and slight leak from the oil filter adapter. Trans has no leaks. TC has a slight leak/weep from rear housing. Both diffs are very leaky from the diff covers.

Things that need/needed immediate attention:
Radiator leak from top hose region (fixed)
Check engine light, P0108 code – MAP sensor related (finally fixed)
Bonnet struts might as well be non-existent (fixed)
Driver’s side CV boot is torn badly, joint may be on its way out (fixed).
Front driveshaft TC end CV boot is also torn badly, joint may be on its way out (fixed)
HVAC blower motor control module/resistor is blown (fixed)

I have now purchased everything to fix the above, just waiting for it to arrive

I will use the thread to doc everything that I'm doing to my WJ.

Daniel
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119

Last edited by Turismo07; 23-04-2013 at 02:26 PM.