AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - TJ fan clutch
Thread: TJ fan clutch
View Single Post
Old 18-05-2018
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredCollins View Post
It’s been nearly 6 months and this fan still roars like a Mack truck, could the fan clutch be faulty? If I hold the fan with a rope and start the motor cold, it takes a lot of force to hold the fan, is this normal, can someone please shed some light on this as I’ve spoken to my dad about it and he says it just needs time to “break in”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
often a fan clutch will often be in the "lock" position when initially started up even though everything is cold. the fan will roar for a few minutes and then the valve within the clutch will open and the clutch will disengage allowing the fan to rotate at about 30% of engine rpm with only friction driving the fan and the noise will return to normal.

if it continues to roar on a cold engine then it is stuck in the locked position

a rolled up newspaper applied to the fan should just about stop it from rotating when the clutch is disengaged

maybe the clock spring on the end of the clutch isnt in position properly or the clutch is faulty

test fan clutch with a hair dryer to see if the clock spring expands and operates the valve on the end of the clutch

Last edited by bonza; 18-05-2018 at 10:23 AM.