AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - The search for a magic carpet (Lifted ride discussion)
View Single Post
Old 19-11-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

I think the fact that you now have IFS is a really big contributor to the harshness you are experiencing. This is my experience with all IFS vehicles offroad after having live axle vehicles.

I love the WH/XH's and always wanted to get one as my main offroad and camping rig, coming from all live axle 4wds previously I went offroading in my brother's XH with 2" lift (King springs and Bilstein 5100s) and 32" tyres which is a weapon offroad for what it is (and drives really nicely onroad, prob the best 4wd I've driven onroad), I just couldn't believe how uncomfortable the ride was on rough terrain, corrugations were nice, but actual 4 low stuff was way to bouncy and too much rocking around and wheel lifting for my liking. My mate has a KK that he offroads as well, same story, and this has been my experience for other IFS vehicles as well from other makes. I know you can build them (IFS vehicles in general) to be excellent offroaders with great wheel travel (for big $$), and obviously there are a lot of people using them as most 4wd are IFS these days, so they can obviously do the job but the tradeoff is that in the rough stuff they are not as smooth and forgiving.

If you go too soft on the spring rates then you won't have decent load carrying ability (if you go bullbar and winch) later and risk bottom out the front end more (which leads to a harsh ride as well).

I think taller sidewall tyres will help a lot when aired down. And possibly with beadlocks as well and really low pressures, but you will need to have only the best tyres to be happy and last long at very low pressures all the time.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119

Last edited by Turismo07; 19-11-2018 at 01:50 PM.