AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Where is the bloody tension adjuster bolt for the serpentine belt?
View Single Post
Old 23-01-2018
I just registered

Default Where is the bloody tension adjuster bolt for the serpentine belt?

G'day fellas,

new member here. This is probably going to sound really dumb, so please stick with me. I've had my XJ for about 1 year now. She's a 94 model Sport. Its my first 4wd also.

A few weeks back i went to take some visitors for a bit of an offroad drive. Lucky we were only 10 min from town when it happened, but one of the bearings on the idler pulleys collapsed.

Anyway I got her home pulled the old belt off and the stuffed pulley. I ordered new ones from ebay. Now I stupidly threw the belt and pulley away, as I just assumed all XJ's ran the same system.

I'm trying to put the serpentine belt back on, and have been reading the factory workshop manuals from 93, 97 and 2000. In each one they refer to adjusting the belt tension using either a bolt on the alternator or the power steering. I have neither. In fact, i think i have an auto adjusting belt tensioner. I'm sure of it, as it looks just like the things that come up on Google when I search 'Cherokee belt tensioner'!

My question is this - how do i get the belt on? I have no instructions from the manuals that have this tensioner, I've looked on Youtube, and I've even done a bit of a search on here and I'm at a loss. I've tried pushing and pulling on the tensioner itself and it doesn't budge.

Any tips would be a HUGE help