AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Why is it hard to Start when Cold
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2019
RustysRocker

Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

Good work with the diagnosis.

Just had a look at the 97 XJ FSM in case it matches your 96. The ASD ground is circuit K51 at pin C3 (connector C pin 3) which should be a dark blue/yellow wire. The fuel pump relay control is a brown wire at C19.

With the connector attached you could try pushing a pin in the rear next to the wire to back probe the connector and see if those grounds pulse on with the ignition.

I know in the past there have been TJs and possibly XJs too where one of these grounds can fail in the PDC. Since they should operate in the same manner the wires can be linked to get round that issue.

There can also be corrosion getting into the crimps at the PDC terminals which can result in loss of connection as you have with the ASD terminal. It's a long time since I've been at the wiring in my TJ's PDC and I don't remember exactly how it all clip together. I'll have a look and see if I can find a TSB that exists for later TJ's which should give a pretty good idea how it comes apart.

Edit: found a copy of the 05-06 TJ TSB which explains the repair for the issue they get. It doesn't show pics of the PDC disassembly but this is the text explanation, which I hope helps you get to the wiring in there...

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Remove and isolate the positive and negative battery cables from the battery.
2. Remove the Power Distribution Center (PDC) cover from the PDC.
3. Locate the ASD (Auto Shut Down) and the Fuel Pump relays in the PDC.
4. Remove the two nuts used to secure the positive battery cable to the PDC. Remove
the positive battery cable from the PDC.
5. Remove the PDC from its bracket and remove the cover from the bottom of the PDC
to expose the underside wiring.

Last edited by Jonny Jeep; 08-03-2019 at 07:00 PM.