AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Steering Box Bolts Sheared Off!!!
View Single Post
Old 25-02-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 388 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusEugenius View Post
Hi Jeepers

Just got myself a '96 XJ after a few years without a fourby, thought I'd try a Jeep after my Rover crapped itself, thought they were tough!

Haven't even got the tyres dirty yet but have replaced the water pump,and now the steering let go...as I pulled into a parking spot at the shops...lucky!!

Thinking it might be the same known problem on this thread, the steering box has come away from the chassis. Gonna be on the phone to Jeep now that I know about the recall.

I have some pics if anyone has any comments or advice, really wondering if I've bought an albatross for my neck, sucker.
all you need to do is phone them , give them your VIN number and see if the recall has been done , if it has , then at some stage someone has removed the box , and didn't check to see if the bolts went in through the bracket , that is located inside the chassis if I remember there are three bolts ? and each one has to go through the bracket , you would need to remove the bumper and so on to see if the bracket is there , if not , take it to recall.