AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - I got hung up and had to walk home! Advice needed on the 4WD system
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ from WA View Post
lockers i have found generally dont disengage till there is no binding pressure from the gears being placed on them. this is true from centre diffs to front diffs i have used from my jeep to dads old range rover and army 110 centre diffs. this is due to the deactivating springs or what ever mechanism used do not apply huge amounts of pressure usually a jolt bump or turning can unlock quickly to lock in you apply pressure. the 110's have light when you move the centre lock off the light stays engaged till it actually does disengage. it can stay on for 1km on flat smooth straight road or get bumped off in 1m.
That can be true on hard surfaces, I found wriggling the stering a bit left & right disengaged my Range Rovers centre diff on a dirt road pretty quick, similar with the ARB locker in the back of it and the Patrol, they all seemed to disengage better off road of course where traction was less prevalent.

My Jeep seems slightly better on engage and diengage than the ARB's, but there's not that much in it.

I had twin LSD's in my GQ for a while and I would have to say although the Patrol LSD's are the best factory LSD available, the Jeep traction control has my vote as being better, I would even go so far to say, I'd rather the Jeep Traction Control than a pair of AutoLockers.
I actually loved my Patrol with an Air Locker in the rear and LSD in the front, the opposite of what most Patrol owners do, and the Jeep Traction control gives the same benefits of breakage free throttle usage, with the front locker if all else fails
It's a Jeep thing, I don't understand............