AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - How much should it cost to to replace a diff solenoid?
View Single Post
Old 19-11-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Wow... Just did some googling and same response from the US sites as well, as in only replaceable as a whole assembly. Damn ridiculous! Though if its locked on they should be able to manually flick the solenoid back to allow it to release.
Yeah, it did release after a time (though be it several hundred kilometers) and it actually had gone back to working fine by the time I dropped it off, though the workshop say it did stick again for them. While it was stuck I tried opening the fill hole in the diff to flip the selector ring with a screw driver but wasn't able to get it to throw. With the cover removed it looks easy enough to manipulate the selector ring but I couldn't manage it through the filler port. Unfortunately removing the cover requires draining the oil and re-filling, so it isn't really a practical solution.

I however came across a thread on another site that says Nissan use the same lockers and have the solenoid available as part number 384718s16A and say it lists for $105. The discussion is about a front locker rather than a rear locker but perhaps there is hope.

As I said I can't afford to delay my return any longer so it looks like I'll be leaving the car behind and probably won't be able to come back for her for some time, so well, at lease we can take our time sourcing parts