AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - WK2 Failed Diesel engine
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2024
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,148 Times in 608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebreakerbob View Post
I am thinking of doing 10-40 in mine (MY13) as just recently the oil light in the morning first start is illuminating and staying on for a second or so. Don’t really recall if that was normal as it was always the throttle body light would cycle through. I mean if the oil drains from the filter body as they say it does, then I understand the slight delay in oil pressure, again pretty stupid design unless you want failures. The other more serious thoughts are main or big end wear. What ever happened to oil pressure gauges that connected with plastic tube and had the capillary tube inside, no electronics except the internal light for night driving

My previous WK2 would do that...I mentioned it on here a while back. Often at first start up the low oil pressure light would glow for 2 or 3 seconds and I could here the usual engine noise that initial low oil pressure causes ...like tappet noise.

It never changed right up until I drowned it...it was doing that for maybe 15,000 kms before it's demise at 195,000kms...which definitely was not caused by low oil pressure, more like water pressure in intake!

Whether it was bearing wear causing it to take extra time to get oil pressure up, or whether it was in fact the oil draining back out of the filter therefore having to pump the filter full again to pressurise I don't know.
At the time though, I put it down to the oil filter slowly draining overnight...

The one I have now doesn't do that...maybe the "non return" valve in the housing does weaken over time?