AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - OzTent - Best Tent or Worst Tent?
View Single Post
Old 18-06-2018
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I apologize for bump an old topic from the dead, just have a few interesting things from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future
We have the RV5 with the all the extra front panels, and the fly, we can fully enclose the front into a second room, we use it for our kitchen when the whole family is traveling. There is no floor though.
When I am on my own I just use the tent and when not needed i don't even roll out the front awning. In this config it's very quick to setup and if there is no wind only need 4 pegs total.
It has proven to be very effective in windy conditions, even when the wind has hit square on the front!
I have had it since 2009 and it's been in floods and very windy conditions (as prev mentioned). The tent IS WATERPROOF!!! even when the the bottom of the tent was sitting in flooded water half way up the floor on the outside. It also has never leaked even after 2 days of continuous torrential rain in Noosa (Jan 2013)! It is roomy snd I can stand comfortably in the front section to get dressed (I'm 1m 78cm tall). The Oztent stretchers fit in there comfortably. You do need to get the Fly as well though to stop condensation on the inside of the tent in humid environments.
The size is a consideration, an RV3 or 4 might be more suitable to you as it will be lighter and still fit the two of you now and when you have kids later you can add the tag along tent in front of the awning for the little ones. I would have gone with the RV3 option if the tag along was available when I bought mine.
I put mine on the flat roof rack in a custom cylindrical soft vinyl canvas bag I had made up to keep the worst of the wet weather off it as the original canvas bag will let water in from the zipper.
I use two lockable KanuLock straps to hold it down, quick and easy and it's safe. I like the roof option because I don't have to sorry about storing an often wet or dirty tent in my Paj https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-frame-tent/
I have recommended the tent to at least two other happy campers that have used them all over Australia and they couldn't thank me enough. I often look at Youtube for different videos on this topic, I will leave one here, maybe this will be useful to someone in the future