AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - KK: In Dad's memory
View Single Post
Old 29-09-2018
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Doesn't seem to be much interest here in moding the KK so not sure to bother with little things I doing to it?

Just like the XJ, the rear doors don't swing open very far. Can see why it was hard on our big American Akita Kuma to get in and out past the door when going up the ramp.

Not a lot of gap there so was doubtful how much further I could make the door swing open.

Stock door swings open to 847mm.

These doors rely on two fingers on each hinge that hit a pressed up bump or stop to limit how far it opens.

The bottom hinge is harder to work on and are joined as well.

Top ones are easy to see and work on so just have to start trimming away a bit at a time evenly on all four 'fingers'. These can even be cut with an angle grinder with a cutoff disc.

I found a 10mm air powered belt sander worked the best.

Getting into the upper part of the bottom stop was the hardest. Using a grinding stone on a Dremel was the only thing I could get in there.

One thing I had to watch out for was that the spring loaded arm, that helps keep the door open, didn't run off the end!

Kept making sure that the stops were hitting flat on and that they all hit at the same time. The spring loaded arm is now about as far as you can go and really didn't want to thin the upper fingers anymore either.

Still got enough room when fully open.

Now it opens to 912mm, or 65mm/2.75" further than before.

Doesn't sound like a lot but it is very noticeable.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club

Last edited by Gojeep; 09-10-2018 at 02:33 PM.