AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Thinking of buying a JKU to replace my Patrol
View Single Post
Old 14-11-2017

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a JKU to replace my Patrol

Hi all.

I'm thinking of buying a '13 JKU 3.6L to replace my '99 Patrol 2.8L diesel. I like what I see with the JKU, the aftermarket options are huge, and I'm really keen to get into a 4WD with a bit more power. I'm also hesitant to let go of my Patrol because I know it inside and out, I've done nearly all the work on it myself over the last 3 years.

My only concern with the JKU is the storage space. My Patrol has a heap of room in the cargo bay plus full size roof racks - plenty of room for the three of us (2 adults + 1 kiddo) to go camping for a few days. Typically we'd pack a 40L Waeco fridge, 200W solar panels, king-sized swag, small dome tent, gazebo, a Rhino box of kitchen gear/utensils/hatchets/gas stove/etc, an axe/chainsaw, etc. Sometimes we even chuck the Bushranger canoe on the roof racks, it's a hefty 3-person 40kg canoe.

So would it be possible to pack like this in a JKU? Would a 40L Waeco fit in the back with a dual battery?

I'm new to the 3.6L engine so I'm wondering what the expected life might be on them? My Patrol has 300,000kms on the original engine, I service it every 5000kms without fail.

Generally, what kind of weight can the roof racks hold, would the canoe be an issue?

And if anyone's come from a Patrol or Landy to a JKU, happy to hear any other advice you've got.

Cheers!

Last edited by acs85; 14-11-2017 at 08:55 PM.