AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Trying to work out bearing noise
View Single Post
Old 20-11-2018
I just registered

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishW96 View Post
That's cheap, $750 for the rebuild is economical in my eyes... Call around and see what people have to offer with warranty. Will be interesting to see what there is around.

If the cars a good one maybe tough it out and let it grow? My XJ was a real grower tbh. Never a nice car but so much character...

I did a lot of (mostly) maintenance work to my last XJ . I had the time and money to spare to throw at it.

Now I have to work a lot longer and harder to just pay the bills these days. I can't justify spending too much on the Jeep, there just isn't the spare cash. Or the time to play with it. Maybe that's why it's not fun anymore. I didn't used to have to worry about burning time on the XJ when I felt I should be working like I do now.

I'm very tempted to have a go at fixing the pinion bearings myself over Xmas. It's about $80-$100 in parts. Plus I need to buy a torque-meter thingy to make sure I've got the correct preload. The LP D30'd crush bearing doesn't sound like fun to get right either...