AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - AEV 2nd gen snorkel install
View Single Post
Old 26-11-2014
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 584 Times in 369 Posts

Just fitted my Gen II AEV snorkel.....thought I'd throw in a few comments/pics.

I used a 1 3/4" (44mm) hole saw.....bought a decent quality one, and it shows...made short work of cutting 4 layers of hood steel.

Cut out the shape using an air driven disc cutter (one of my handier tool purchases), both inside and outside profiles. Ground the edges to remove the burrs.

Daniel from Trax Industries (who supplied the snorkel and price matched for me) also suggested using electrical split conduit to edge the inner cut and retain the hood soundproofing.

When fitting he outside trim, I painted the edges and up under the trim piece Satin Black....so no body colour would show when the hood was closed.

Looks good, fits properly.

Couple of points I found....

1. I had to trim about 3/16" more steel off the rear vertical cutout than the stencil suggested....the cutout would hit the snorkel while closing, even with the snorkel pushed as far forward as possible.

2. The antenna.....I figured that I was destined to listen to the antenna whacking the top of the snorkel intake on a regular basis, so I zip tied the antenna whip to the top of the snorkel.