AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Running power through passenger side firewall
View Single Post
Old 21-04-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

I have used the same hole/bung for running cables etc for driving light control switches etc. I did not take any panels off. I used a piece of stout fencing wire to pass through the grommet hole which I actually re-sized with a stanley knife so that everything would fit through. I then attached the cabling with gaffer tape and pulled it/them through. I simply threaded them so that they were under the A/C unit and/or across/behind the dash.

I also initially threaded the aerial for the UHF radio through the same grommet hole. However, after working for a while, the radio would transmit but not receive. This was because (I think) I had to many electrical cables going through the same grommet with the aerial and this caused a lot of electrical interference with the aerial. In addition, the aerial was being routed behind/also next to the battery which added to the same problem.

So, if u look on the driver's side (which is the US passenger side) on the right, remove the little cover panel between the right door frame and the steering wheel (same as but reverse of (L) hand side). U will see a bit of foam filler that has been put there as part of the L conversion to R hand drive. U can use a large screwdriver or similar to make a hole that u can then thread cable thru. I used the fencing wire trick here as well once i had a large enough hole. The hole will more or less seal itself.

I have used this side for placing the UHF aerial only. Problem fixed!!! Isn't it great - two holes for the same thing!!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 21-04-2019 at 09:25 AM.