AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - XJ Mods VSB 14
Thread: XJ Mods VSB 14
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Good tip AWG with using longer bolts, turning them into studs and using them as guides. The Felpro pins have the same arrangement with a threaded end and the opposite end to fit a screw driver. Because they are a plastic, they have barbs that the filter and pan slip over but cant fall back off. Anyway, great idea.

Before i fill the Jeep back up with oil and change the filter, i had one more job to do. I was kind of postponing it because the forums went on about it being a prick of a job.

Its the dreaded oil filter adapter oring replacement job!!

I armed myself with a mig welder, 20 feet of cheater bar, a bazooka, oxy, etc..

It ended up being a really easy job. I did get some ideas off the net, then adapted my own technique and it was all over in an hour.
As shown in the pic below, i used the T60 torx bit that goes in the oil adapter bolt. I just knocked the socket of the end of it to shorten it up. This also allowed me to get my dog bone spanner (10mm socket used) on it. This spanner fits in perfectly and is a articulated so you can get the angle you want. Its also a foot long, so you can get a good purchase on it. Doing the whole job from under the car was the secret. No need to undo engine mounts etc.. just put the torx/dog bone on and belt it with a hammer. The flogging action loosens the bolt easily. I removed the bolt from underneath, but then removed the whole unit including the attached oil filter from above.

My old orings were knackered. The kit from Summit, Rockauto, Ebay, is only a few bucks and its just a couple of minutes to swap them out.

I removed the filter, refitted the overhauled adapter and fitted a new filter.
If you have everything ready, allow about an hour all up.

Hope that helps for anyone else that has a leaky adapter and has been putting the job off...

Pic below showing technique of belting hell out of it from below. Plenty of room to swing a hammer and the action frees the bolt easily.. I even did it with the oil filter on. I also believe you dont have to drop the oil to do this job..

Cheers,