AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - XJ Transmission Oil Coolers
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011
Symphony Composer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphonii View Post
I've spent countless hours reading post on XJ cooling from around the world.
A lot of info regarding the flow thought the aux cooler. A lot of people advocate the opposite of what I think.
I'm of the view that the hot auto oil goes to the aux cooler first so as to take advantage of the significant difference in oil temp to air temp. the greater the difference the greater the cooling , then on to the radiator heat exchanger entering the rad from the bottom and exiting from the top so as to eliminate air locks and to cool the rad if the oil has been cooled to below 100'C which is should have, this would also stabilise the auto oil on startup. the rad will try to take the oil up to around 100'C but I think the oil doesn't stay in the rad long enough to increase the temp much , based on how long the transmission takes to warm with the rad at 100'C.
If my theory is right , the hotter the oil gets the greater the cooling effect of the Aux.
In the US Jeeps, the transmission cooler is on the left side of the radiator and I would assume that the left tank would/should be cooler than the engine temp (100 deg)

XJ V8 Build
Electric water pump