AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Commander drawers securing? How? Ideas?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalker747 View Post
Nice work. How did you manage to secure it in to the floor to support the extended weight?
Each of the larger (forward-most) drawer slides are riveted+sikaflexed to 3mm aluminium angle, which is bolted through the timber and body floor, into rivnuts in steel plates on the underside of the body, with extra bolts towards the front of the slides.
I used the plates with rivnuts so I could slide them above the AUX tank, and line-up with holes already drilled through the body, with sikaflex to seal the plates against the body.
No photos of any of that as my hands ended up covered in sikaflex for most of the day .

The timber frame is also bolted at the front to some brackets which held the stock plastic floor, through the spare wheel winder hole, and to some small studs at the front for the stock plastic floor. I only used these points to hold everything in position while I drilled the timber, plates and body, but figured I'd might-as-well still use them. Can never have too many bolts

The weakest point is probably the bolts holding the aluminium angle, as I used low-profile bolts and sunk them 1mm to let the slide sit as low of possible. The angle is also glued and bolted through just the timber in a couple of spots using screw-nuts, mostly to keep everything aligned while drilling, but should help a bit too.

One of the shallow drawers will have a burner on it (still working on that.), so I'll still have some thin legs to help support it when fully extended for cooking.