AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Replacing your Torque Converter
View Single Post
Old 29-08-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I'm designing my tranny support plate for the jack as we speak. Have done a number of Chrysler trannies and have always found those support plates you buy pretty useless....have always welded one up with cradles in 5mm PL with a 25 mm wide support strip weld at contact points to spread the load + machined a spiggott to fit the 2T floor jack. If I have time I make floating feet on a pin with its own clevis pin just for that transmission as I wiil no doubt work on it again. I hang on to a good vehicle with all this extra work + accessories done on it.
I put also plan a cross in the most strategic areas to take 3-4 links of rated chain that will lock with a twist through 90 degrees into the cross in the platform. Once in place they are easily put into position then the starps can be securely attached to the platform.
I also run a rail along the underside of each edge in 25x6 mm flat bar.
All overkill but I also like to use 5mm plate that is webbed to the corners (again 25x6 mm flat bar is adequate). There is a fair bit of weight on these and trannies like the Torqueflite 6.

I also have turners jacks on hand to rotate axially or jack for and aft to align the locating spiggotts (alignment pins) perfectly for as close as possible to a sliding fit. This is because I always work on these projects alone and plan for a no strain job.

You are absolutely correct with your comments re cheap jacks and lifts. I used to used chains over the top to support but now use rated ratchet load straps for and aft to hold the unit securely as you did.
AND:
Thanks for this write-up. It is pretty much as expected but your comments have helped muchly in planning.

Glend; ONE QUESTION if I may:
I have added bulkheads to drain the pans more easily in the past (less kit on hand in the shop). Am considering this time tigging a threaded sleeve to allow a plug to be added for oil changes. The plug would also be cross drilled to allow wiring for security against undoing. by vibration or vandalism. I hate the shower of fluid when you break the seal of the pan on the tranny. Was thinking of back of tranny pan as this will be covered/protected by the skid plate also. I would appreciate your thoughts on this mod.
Thanks.
The breather extents is a good idea and was planned also.