AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - tighten the steering box
View Single Post
Old 26-04-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 74 Times in 68 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default tighten the steering box

I have a strange steering issue which I cannot sort out.

I have installed a new steering damper (a left over form IRO which is certainly stronger than the stock), all the steering components seem to be firm and nothing is lose.

However, when I drive over loose gravel (although with brand new shocks) I feel like something is loose in the front.
Also if I drive over a bump with about 60+KM in a slight curve, my steering wheel shakes quite a bit (again even with brand new damper).
I thought it could bee the ball joints although I wiggled the wheels from left to right and up and down. Seem to be tight (although I have not yet done it on the other side). I feel like the issue is the driver side (where i did not do the test but used the technique this guy is doing in this video:
).

So it feels like a light death wobble but not start remotely to getting to the point. I had it already so I know how it feels. So really no idea what this could be.

I also tried to tighten my steering box. In Europe an US you open up and go counter clockwise so i wonder (since we are mirrored) if this is on Australian / UK models the other way around. Did someone do this already? And which direction is it getting tight?