AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - KK: In Dad's memory
View Single Post
Old 26-02-2019
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

BTW, listening to exhaust clips on your phone makes it sound awful!

This is the stock arrangement from the airbox to the throttle body on my 2010 model.

To match my bigger free flowing exhaust it time to get the same treatment on the intake side too. The bigger one on the right is from a 4.7 V8.

The intake bolt pattern is exactly the same as the 4.7 and the bore is bigger than the stock throttle body.

I just searched eBay for 4.7 throttle body and made sure it was the drive by wire version which was used on Jeeps and Dodges from 2008 on. Mine was $75 US and came off a 2011 Dodge 1500 Pickup. I looked for the one with the least mileage as that is more important than the age of it, and this had only done 61k.

Stock bore is 63mm/2.5"

4.7 version measures 74mm/3".

Some rotate the new throttle body to avoid cutting the assembly stubs. It's 2 minutes work to just cut them off.

The did the final trim with a knife facing away from the seal so I didn't slip and cut it.

This is the OEM part number of mine.

The Jeep harness just plugs straight in!. No modification at all.

Can't use the stock intake hose as the end narrows down to only 2.5". But it is 3.25" at the airbox and the convoluted section is still 3". So I put a hose clamp around the end of the 3" part to act as a guide while I cut it off with a hacksaw before linishing it.

I had a 3" rubber elbow from a Donaldson air cleaner system so thought I would use that. It was tight getting over the outside of the throttle body, but worked out well.

Need to remove the air intake temperature sensor and install it on the new elbow. Just levered it out carefully with a screwdriver

Rubber doesn't drill well with a standard twist bit as ends up way undersized. So just drilled it with a bit and brace as didn't have a punch the right size.

Used so soap to help push in the sensor the same distance in as stock, 32mm/1.25"

Seated nicely.

I used some 3" stainless steel tube left over from my tailpipe to make up the difference in length. First start up gave a very erratic idle like you had a huge cam in it! It settled down, and after going around the block, it had learned to adjust for it and idle is back to normal.
I have taken a 400 km round trip since fitting it and definitely have better throttle response and revs out far easier than before and powers up the hills. It compliments the exhaust upgrade really well and even had to turn down my throttle controller some more! I will give feedback on the economy changes once I do a run the same as I recorded before all my modifications. But must say I don't feel the loss of gearing from the 245/70R17, 30.5", tyres anymore. I have noticed also since the exhaust and throttle body mods that the ECO message is on a lot more now.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club