AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - XJ 1998 VM 2.5 turbo diesel - limp mode?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2019

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlav View Post
Don't forget that boost is conditioned by exhaust pressure .
Exhaust pressure than is conditioned by rpm .
You saying that when moving in 4-th and 5-th gear the engine revs up to 3000 rpm on flat road ???
Seems like from one of your previous post that engine wouldn't pass 2000 rpm in 4-th or 5-th .
Quote: " I can climb in 4th and 5th but at at steady ~2000 rpm and 60-80 kmph.... if it's to high will slow down then kick power back in and climb steady as long as it stays around 2000 rpm."
Thanks for continuing to help with sage advice and critical thinking Amlav.
Yes - flat can rev in 4th and 5th past 3000 rpm...
Problem starts on climb, as per original post... even the slightest....
I'll take it for more runs tomorrow, just managed to rig up the turbo gauge late today...
Had a chat and a beer with my brother who's a physicist, he explained how the pulse signal interposes over the #1 12.5v.
My gut is that I have a boost leak, like a valve - everytime I hit 10 psi or thereabouts, the leak lets pressure out. if it was fuel, or limp, on flat wouldn't rev much past 2000 rpm...but it always seems to be governed by the 10 psi, no matter speed or rpm... I thought was rpm until I got a gauge... the only constant is psi...
I think I'll get a 1m silicone hose and connect in and out bypassing the intercooler.... short 5 k runs at 80k max....
What do you think?
R