AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Back on the gearbox merry-go-round...
View Single Post
Old 19-06-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 283 Times in 208 Posts

I don't know what transmission is in the KJ uses but I'll share some experience on a WJ grandie that suffered random transmission fault that I had to sort out on the daughters car.

It suffered random events of going into limp home mode, locked in second gear and the MIL lamp illuminated, fortunately for the daughter it would usually reset if she turned the car off and restarted it.
If I did a scan and found it was always a speed sensor fault and after replacing it twice the second time with a genuine mopar sensor the fault still came back, just less frequently.

After further research I came to suspect the sensor electrical plug, although it wasn't damaged but I felt its sockets may have been loose on the sensors pins and causing intermittent connection occasionally.

I rewired the plug with new sockets and the problem was finally corrected that was about 2 years and around 50,000kms ago. Now you may be not getting a speed sensor problem but you may have a poor connection inside one of the electrical connectors to the solenoids in the transmission.