AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Fuel tank bash plate!
View Single Post
Old 13-02-2011
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

piece of cake mate.

make sure it is as empty as you dare let it go (i mean drive on the fuel light for as long as possible).

You can drop the tank without lifting the vehicle at all.

Just make sure you disconnect the filler lines and cover them up. They have funky plastic clip things which need manipulation and are fragile. So do not break them.

Once you have the main filler and vent disconnected you can proceed to lower to the tank on the bolts. the rear has to come down before the front end as the front sticks in a bit over the crossmember, meaning the rear falls down, slides backwards and then the front comes out.

Once the tank is half way out you can disconnect the electricals to the fuel pump.

I did not need to disconnect the fuel lines from the pump to the vehicle. They were long enough for me.

I was able to do a 2dr tank by myself. Even bashing the dents out was a piece of cake, is very easy to manipulate steel.

BTW the squeaking is actually your tank hitting a plastic clip holding the reflective heat insulation to the body of the vehicle. Remove this clip and rip the stuff out of the body (can be done by hand) and give it a bit of paint to stop the rust. This will prevent it from squeaking again.