AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - XJ killing coils
View Single Post
Old 26-04-2018
No Winching

Liked 121 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post
I think the XJ's tend to chew up ignition components. Distributor caps, rotor buttons, leads, coils, etc... perhaps its the heat under the bonnet.
My engine had some weird idling problems years ago, and we changed out all the ignition components and she has run like a champ every since. I generally change out the cap, rotor and plugs now every few years.
I had an original Mopar coil that crapped out at about the 200,000 mark and the shop replaced it. I only just found out that they put another original Mopar coil back in. This is because i thought i would put a new one in anyway as i thought the one in there was "getting old". When i pulled it out, it was the expensive Mopar one (which still works great), so i am keeping it as a spare.
I went on the Rockauto site and you can pay as little as $6 for a XJ coil.. so perhaps there are some poor quality ones out there. They are bolted to the side of the engine block (my 1995 is), so are subject to a lot of heat. You could run the check that Jaffa has recommended, but i would also make sure you buy a good quality, even Mopar original unit.

Cheers,
Thanks Alex , i did replace all ignition parts when i did the coil the first time .

Help support the future of the forum