AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - the dreaded can of worms - which tyre
View Single Post
Old 31-10-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony1 View Post
In that case i would get all terrains, definitely. Big knobbly tyres on long drives on tarmac will give you a chronic headache and poor grip and handling, especially in the wet. An all terrain in any mainstream brand will be good. I choose comfort and quietness over mileage because I reckon old tyres get hard and brittle and lose their grip, even if they do look like they still have heaps of tread. Duratracs are highly regarded but they seem closer to a muddy than an a/t. My personal opinion is that very knobbly tyres are dangerous for consistent road use. They look mint but could put you in a dangerous situation on a wet road at speed.
Sorry Anthony, but I have to debunk a few of your theories on the Duratracs here....

Firstly, they are considered an all-terrain tyre and are not a muddy. Whilst what you said may be correct for true mud tyres, the opposite is the case for the Duratrac. The ones I had on my WJ were quieter, had way more grip in the wet and dry and rode much nicer at road pressures (40PSI) than the previous BFG A/T KO's that they replaced, whether that was general driving around unloaded or touring whilst towing my 1.5T camper trailer. They are just an exceptional all-round tyre that I find would be very hard to beat.

Whilst I mostly agree with your comment regarding the mileage vs age and hardness of the tyre compound, my Duratracs were still very soft and grippy in the wet (tarmac driving) after over 3 years and almost 50,000km. And the beauty of slow-wearing tyres is that you get to maintain a decent tread depth up until the point that you replace them, rather than trying to squeeze another couple of 4WD trips out of a set of baldies and getting stuck.

If you ever get a chance, try a set out. I think you would be pleasantly surprised. I plan to put some on my Commander when my GY Wrangler Silent Armors wear out.