AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Drones
Thread: Drones
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017
Established Member

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Cool - thanks for the heads up guys. Yeah looking now and yes it can be flown under the new regs without a licence, providing I stay more than 30m away from other people and keep it within line of sight. Might still look into the licence as well and just downloaded a great little program for the phone that lets you know if you are in a no fly area, download Android here or iOS here

One thing I cant work out yet is the laws apply for a small UAV - one over 1 kilo and less than 2 kilo. The Mavic is less than a kilo so do any of the laws apply at all? Will keep looking.

EDIT: Found it on the CASA website, the new rules are for 100gm to 2kg.
Please be careful as the rules will apply to you as well regardless of how heavy your drone is. Those rules are more for commercial purpose if you want to make money out of your video clips or pictures.

I don't have a web link to give you but here it is in a nut shell..
- no flying closer than 30 meters to any person. This includes flying over them.
- No flying in populous areas i.e. on the beach or sport events and the like.
- No flying within 5.5km of ANY airport, heli pad or sports airport.
- No flying higher than 120m
- No flying closer than 30 meters to any object i.e. cars, houses, boats, whales and no flying over other peoples properties.
- You must fly in the line of sight, That means your 4km range is useless unless you have eagle eyes
- No flying at night. There is a rule that allows you to fly within 30min I think before sunrise or sunset.

There are a few more rules but I think I have the most important ones listed. Even if you fork out for a licenses you can not get around those rules. If you happen to be in Sydney your chance of flying are just about nil because of all the hospitals and heli pads. There are a few apps that show you where it is safe to fly. (Safe to Fly?, RPAS Logger, Hover)

There are good links and groups you can join i.e DJI Owners of Australia Group for example. There are a few guys from CASA in there too that are more than happy to help out with ruling questions.

A couple of links:
https://www.oic.qld.gov.au/guideline...one-technology
https://www.casa.gov.au/publications...fety-australia
Hope this helps a bit....

Last edited by Jimmyb; 01-05-2017 at 04:57 PM.