AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - Cooper STT Pro Tyres
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016
AJOR Gold

Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Mud!

As luck would have it, some rain fell a few days ago, and the normally very dry area of central Australia became suddenly a muddy playground, and I was immediately drawn back to the same place where the rub testing took place.

Some fun was had. Please indulge me, as I don't get to see mud all that often. Even a little bit is exciting.

Early impressions are that these tyres do EXACTLY what they are designed for. What I took notice of while out playing in muddy puddles, was the excellent ejection of mud from the tread blocks, something I felt to take a closer look at. One can observe that between the sizeable tread blocks there is some impressed dimples. These appear to create a air pocket that prevents the mud from sticking between the blocks, and allows for great ejection of particulate matter. I found myself comparing them to the dimples in a high end Japanese sushi knife:

This made the explanation of the 30 foot rooster tails of mud I briefly saw in my rear view quite understandable, and even more enjoyable.

Apologies for not going deeper into the mud, but I will endeavour to find some deep mud and drive it until it stops me. I'm taking it slowly at the moment as I'm getting used to having grip again. I'll add more mud information as I collect it. For now its home to pressure wash the day away under the watchful supervision of the boss.

Coming soon: Off-road grip and slip, high speed bitumen and dirt review, 'bush bashing' trailblazing along tracks not driven for over 50 years, river rocks and sand, shale and s&*( your pants ascending/descending.