AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - XJ Roof Rack Options
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Food for thought, our custom Thule rack.

Hi Black XJ
We had no problem with the o.e. bars, except the load bearing. Like a lot of people, I did want to get a rear tyre carrier to start with, till I found two problems, not easy to use off road, and bloody expensive.
I looked at racks, etc, and found again not versitile and again bloddy expensive.
I started by using stock gutter mount Thule, see pic 1, they stick out to much and the plactic knobs are asking to be ripped off. Out came the hacksaw, cut bar to just over length of mount, end caps reattached with sealent, and stainless screws in the top. See pic 2.
I then replaced the knobs with socket cap screws, again we eventually went for stainless, phosphated just did not hold up.
Although not pretty, see pic 3, it takes some knocks on the green lane in Kent. You would not get a Landy down this trail, pic 4. I did loose the gutter mount ariel on this run, the rack seemed not worse for it though.
I do not know if the fittings are the same for a post 97 rack, however the trimming may be possible.
I willbe puting some more pics of this up on our website when I get time as we are rebuilding it. Hope this helps.

www.thecherokee.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	roof1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	24690

Name:	roof2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	24691