AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - 4.0l XJ overheating? Start here - the basics!
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014
AJOR Gold

Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Even with the internal heater turned on full the air was cold. And still the temperature guage hovered around just under the 100 mark until we got closer to home and it got a bit cooler, it stayed just above 85°c.
this statement stands out to me more than anything and no one has addressed this aspect of the problem. it sounds like a stuck open thermostat issue (85 is pretty cold for an xj on any day even in cold ambient temps). this begs the question: are there multiple faults here? possible heat soaking of the crank sensor for the no start issue plus a stuck t-stat or a collapse in the heater lines for the cold air issue from the heater vents inside the cab? what year is this car?

im also thinking if it has the temp gauge sender at the back of the head these are prone to failure and may have given false readings on the temp gauge (like when it boiled over but still displayed a relatively low temp gauge reading - it should have been in the red if it boiled over). i would be changing out the crank sensor and checking the temp sender for the gauge and the t-stat and heater lines to start. sounds like the car was actually overheating but did not display any red flags via the temp gauge. none of this explains why the fan didnt kick in unless the pcm didnt see enough heat to turn it on which baffles me.

it should have kicked in and stayed on in the ac/defrost mode or at least cycled in other modes (maybe not enough time for the temps to cycle the fan on and off after the no start?). just some more food for thought. very weird indeed.