AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - JK Front bumper roundup
View Single Post
Old 28-05-2012
Established Member

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD4FUN View Post
So that when you tow the vehicle or pull it onto a flat bed it is secured at the strongest point of the vehicle as all tow points normally are.
These points have not been designed or tested for a snatch recovery and if the whole where to open up and have the D shackle go through the window of the recovery vehicle you would not be able to sue them as you have been advised that these are not recovery points and should not have been used for this purpose. That is why some of the bars now don't have tow holes any more so there is no chance of snatching from them.
interesting, that one would have fooled me.
On my stock JK i have two loops (one front and rear) that I assumed were recovery points for snatching. I got stuck last weekend and cracked open my new snatch strap and the shackle didnt fit through the loop.. lucky the snatch set in my brothers 4wd fit through and snatched it straight out.

just did a bit of light reading and there seems to be a bit of differing opinion as to whether this front loop is just a tow hook or if it is safe for recovery.

I don't want to have to watch this hook go flying through my brothers windscreen when he pulls me out next time..but not sure if I need to look at installing rated recovery points (if this is something 4wd shops do for the JK) or getting a front bar with rated recovery points (but it seems companies are shying away from these now re: ARB) ?