AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand - View Single Post - DSLR Camera, which one?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018
Established Member

Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

I use an old Canon 1000D, but like neil_se, use a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and the difference between the old kit lens and this one is night and day. I do still have the 55-250 kit lens and it's acceptable, but I rarely need to use a lens that long. Other than that I have the nifty 50 (50mm f1.8 ) that I was lucky enough to be given by a friend who upgraded to the1.4.

Based on my experience, I'll go a bit left field and say buy a cheaper second hand body and spend most of your budget on decent lenses, either new or second hand. You'll get way better results out of better glass than spending all your coin on a really good body and limiting it with cheap glass, especially since it's the OP's first DSLR. The lower end DSLRs will have alot better "beginner" features while still giving the ability to use full auto and as long as you're not doing too much night time work where the lower ISO specs will cause issues then they will do the job until you're ready, as a photographer, to move to somethign more advanced. Just my 2c.